Purpose of the Governing Body
The governing body is the school’s accountable body. It is responsible for the conduct of the school, for promoting high standards and for the fostering and preservation of the schools ethos. The governing body aims to ensure that children attending an effective school which provides them with a good education, meets their individual needs and supports their well being.
The Governing Body
- Sets the strategic direction of the school by:
- Setting the values, aims and objectives for the school.
- Agreeing the policy framework for achieving those aims and objectives
- Setting statutory targets
- Agreeing the school improvement strategy which includes approving the budget and agreeing the staffing structure
- Challenges and supports the school by monitoring reviewing and evaluating:
- The implementation and effectiveness of the policy framework
- Progress made towards targets
- The implementation and effectiveness of the school improvement strategy
- The budget and staffing structure
- Ensure accountability by:
- Approving the staff’s Self Evaluation Form
- Responding to the School Improvement Partner and Ofsted reports when necessary
- Holding the Head Teacher to account for the performance of the school
- Ensuring parents and pupils are involved, consulted and informed as appropriate
- Making available information to the community
For the Governing body to carry out its role effectively, governors must be:
- Prepared and equipped to take their responsibilities seriously;
- Acknowledged as the accountable body by the lead professionals
- Supported by appropriate authorities in that task and monitor and review their own performance.
The role of a Governor:
In law the governing body is a corporate body, which means:
- no governor can act on her/his own without proper authority from the full governing body;
- all governors carry equal responsibility for decisions made, and
- although appointed through different routes the overriding concern of all governors has to be the welfare of the school as a whole.
Our free communication app allows us to provide parents with instant access to our important messages and up to date school information. Please contact the school office if you have not received your personal invite.